Billy Blanks at Campus Rec

By Kara Martens

Another year, another slogan from Campus Recreation.

This year the people at Campus Rec are urging us to ‘goActive’ with an emphasis on increased diversity and accessibility.

Taking suggestions from students and trends, Campus Rec has added a number of programs designed to involve as many as possible. A variety of classes and intramural sports provide an affordable way to enhance ones physical and social well being.

"We are looking at a number of spinoffs like increased productivity and health," says marketing coordinator for Campus Rec Sharon Bhola. "We offer a number of leagues to give students a full range of university experience."

The new classes include a ballet workout for all experience levels.

"Ballet workout looks at control and form, combined with cardio exercise," elaborates Bhola.

There is also a program of classes inspired by the recent Tae-Bo craze. The Billy Blanks-like classes are energetic and quickly filled.

As always a membership to Campus Rec services is included in the fees for full-time tuition. A membership gives access to the Fitness and Lifestyle Centre, the Olympic Oval, the Aquatic Centre, the Gymnastics Centre and the Outdoor Program Centre. The range of independent activities, classes and team sports offered on campus ensures that everyone can get involved in an activity they are interested in.

Beyond the programs provided to students, Campus Rec is aiming programs at groups outside of the undergraduate, and even university, population.

"Anyone can goActive, not just students, faculty and staff, and outside of the university", says Bhola.

The effort to involve everyone has led Campus Recreation to create
programs for special populations. Seniors programs make an effort to keep people over 65 active and in shape. A close association with the research being done by the Faculty of Kinesiology has allowed Campus Recreation to create programs for special populations. The increased understanding of special needs give people, who may not normally have access to physical activity, the opportunity to ‘goActive’. More information on all the programs offered at these facilities can be found at the Campus Recreation offices in the Kinesiology Complex or call 220-7241.