Sex, drugs and Nashville Pussy

By David Kenney

Dripping wet and fresh out of the shower, Ruyter Suys (pronounced Rider Size) is eager to yak. Not surprisingly, Nashville Pussy’s guitarist is less concerned about getting dressed than she is discussing my first time.

When informed of my single Nashville Pussy viewing, Suys reassures me in her sultry come-on voice: "We’ll just try to go easy on you."

Easy is one way to describe Nashville Pussy. Playing with Tricky Woo and The Cripple Creek Fairies, the Atlanta-based band’s hard southern-rock sound and notorious stage show is simulated sex through music. On record, both Let Them Eat Pussy and last year’s High as Hell are the wham, bam, thank you ma’am epitome of sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll.

Live, Suys trods around the stage bringing men to attention in her leopard print bra and tight lizard skin pants. Her husband, lead vocalist Blaine Cartwright, barks more than sings, sneering his way through a boot to the headset. Together, they’re like two firecrackers exploding at once.

Until a year ago, their bravado was matched by former bassist Corey Parks’ amazon stature and fire-breathing theatrics. But while touring with Motorhead, Parks had a little too much ‘candy’ and left Nashville Pussy. Former Helldorado guitarist Tracy Almazon now rounds out the band with drummer Jeremy Thompson.

"We’re showing her off as we go," says Suys of Almazon. "We’ve got a better bottom than ever. It gives you a good foundation to flip out on."

Besides live, Almazon’s talents can be heard on Nashville Pussy’s recently finished new album. Despite being recorded in the dry county of Glasgow, Kentucky, Nashville Pussy had no problem setting a rambunctious rock-out mood.

"It was weird but perfect," says Suys. "We’d get done [recording] and phone the bootlegger."

Suys maintains the new album is like High as Hell. That means more boogie rockers like “High as Hell” and speed rock like “Piece of Ass.” Just substitute those tracks with songs like “Here’s to Destruction” and “Two Ton Fucking.”

“It’s like AC/DC say, they just keep switching the covers,” says Suys. “[However,] we’ve got songs AC/DC would be jealous of.”

Like the never-ending rock and roll circus Angus Young and company, Nashville Pussy have their own mission. Not to be just okay or damn good, but like Kiss proclaims, the best. Suys says the troops are
up for it.

“We’re still working on that, we’re still trying to be the best,” she says. “We’re not so fucking shocking, we’re just a rock band.”