Bucking off American culture

By Nicole Kobie

Can experimental theatre help define Canadian identity? Can it help in struggle against "commercial entertainment mediocrity?"

According to One Yellow Rabbit’s Michael Green, probably not.

It can, however, make the search a more interesting trip.

Part of his struggle against an American-centered culture is OYR’s High Performance Rodeo, a
festival of Canadian and international experimental theatre projects. Though he’s a co-founder of the 16-year-old event and the current curator, he doesn’t expect to win that war.

"We will continue to lose gloriously forever and ever," he laughs. "It’s not about finding Canadian identity. It’s the search that’s the great part."

According to Green, it is because of that search Americans envy us. While their culture may be imposed on us, it’s also imposed on them.

"They actually admire it–they have to forget who they are."

While the High Performance Rodeo has some serious underlying goals, it’s more about having fun and enjoying crazy theatre than anything else.

The Rodeo, which runs until Jan. 27, has a variety of shows, some of which have already sold out the newly-expanded Big Secret Theatre.

One such show is a unique performance by popular puppeteer Ronnie Burkett. Unstrung features Burkett without his marionette friends–just him, the audience and readings from his current works-in-progress.

Europe is represented by an international cast in Stiff, from theatre group Spymonkey. A dark, slapstick comedy, Stiff is set in a funeral home where the phone is answered "Good morning, we’re mourning."

"It’s Fawlty Towers, only in a funeral home," explains Green. "They are the best physical comedians working."

While enthusiastic about all the performers, he’s most looking forward to By the Hand of the Father. Featuring musician Alejandro Escovedo in his first theatre performance, the event transcends typical theatre. Using two actors–but seven musicians, including Escovedo–it shares the experience of Mexican immigrants to the U.S.

"The search for identity and immigrant experience is something Canadians can relate to so easily," says Green.

Maybe it’s more about being Canadian than Green realizes.