A new age of spelunking

By Andrea Bundon

“What is behind these doors?”

On Feb. 28, University of Calgary Professor of Medicine Dr. Christoph Sensen was finally able to give an answer.

The Sun Centre of Excellence for Visual Genomics recently launched at the U of C Health Sciences Centre at Foothills Hospital, is the first Java 3D technology-enabled research "CAVE" in the world.

CAVE is simply a cubicle in which computer generated images are projected. Researchers are able to stand in the center of the room and with the help of special glasses, observe the image in three dimensions. It’s along the lines of Star Trek’s "Holodeck."

"It’s like being inside a television and playing with the little people," said Sensen. "It’s a room where you can simulate almost anything you want."

Specifically, CAVE will be used for genomic research. For example, by projecting DNA molecules as three-dimensional models, researchers hope to observe patterns that are not immediately apparent on a computer screen. CAVE could also be used to display cells, tissues or the entire human body. This means that three-dimensional imaging could replace cadavers in anatomy classes or lab rats in biology.

"Being able to visualize it gives us a chance to understand how it works," said Chris Spindler, a technical architect for project partner Sun Microsystems.

What makes CAVE truly unique is the incorporation of Java 3D script. Until now, researchers needed direct access to CAVE in order to do any programming. Because Java is universally accessible, students and researchers can write a program anywhere and then load it onto U of C’s CAVE for viewing.

"The whole idea is that you
do everything at your desk and then just walk in and start it," said Spindler.

Programming on separate computers saves both time and money. The centre cost more than $6 million dollars and is expected to be in very high demand. In fact, Sensen expects this is only the first of many CAVEs to be built at Alberta universities.

The centre is also the first Alberta link in the Canadian Bioinformatics Resources-an online network linking universities and government labs across Canada.

"We look for universities and non-profits that have a vision we share," said Sun Business Development Manager for Computational Biology Dr. Stefan Unger. "This is truly a bold and imaginative project put together by Dr. Sensen and his team."