Bad Astronaut, Houston We Have a Drinking Problem

By Josh LaVoie

What do you get when you mix punk with indie-rock and add a pinch of classical? With no way to accurately describe this genre mix I’ll allow you to make your own conjectures. However, in all certainty Bad Astronaut can be described as nothing other than unique. With a seven-man cast from all walks of musical life, this is hardly surprising.

Led by Joey Cape of Fat Wreck Chords’ ever popular Lagwagon the music is based on a very strong punk backbone. Hovever, it brings so much more to the table with indie-rock influences from Mark 72 (Sugarcult, Nerf Herder) and classical overtones via the band’s cellist/vocalist Angus Cooke, and electronic artist Jonathan Cox.

These varied influences fuse together in an exemplary eclectic mix. The vocals are toned down from Joey’s usual gritty punk-rock fare and set against a symphonic string/guitar combination. Houston We Have A Drinking Problem does this with apparent ease. On the other hand, those expecting a pop fun fest should look elsewhere. With the exception of the album’s first released single, the whole CD has a very dark, relaxing feel. If you listen to nothing else on this disc, the tracks “These Days” and “If I had a Son” are a testament to the band’s songwriting ability and deserve a listen. Everyone will find something for themselves on this album, as the group pulls from the entire spectrum of music to convey a completely new and innovative experience.