Geer career fair

By Stephanie Claggett

Career Services will be hosting the Science and Engineering Career Fair on Thu., Oct. 14 in the MacEwan Hall Ballroom from 12-4 p.m. With 44 exhibitors and 12 sponsors, this year’s event is shaping up to be one of the biggest fairs Career Services has held.

The Career Fair is not to be confused with a hiring fair, however.

“We want to introduce future paths and highlight employers for students,” said Career Services’ Career Advisor Adrienne Tom, who explained the purpose of the Career Fair is to make connections, not to get a job.

Most major disciplines in the science and engineering fields will be represented at this event. Exhibitors will include Symantec Corporation, McElhanney Land Surveys, Quorum Business Solutions and Talisman Energy Inc., all of whom qualify as Gold or Silver sponsors.

The money from the sponsorships will be used to cover the costs of running the fair, such as renting the venue and providing parking for the representatives.

Career Services hopes to generate enough revenue for two $500 scholarships that will be awarded at next year’s Science and Engineering Career Fair.

This is the first in a series of four career fairs that will take place throughout the next three months. The Health and Wellness Fair will take place on Mon., Nov. 8 in the MacEwan Hall Ballroom; the Liberal Arts Fair, which includes Communication and Culture, Humanities and Social Sciences, will be held on Wed., Nov. 24 in the Rosza Centre; and the Education Fair will be on Wed., Jan. 19 on the Jack Simpson Gymnasium upper track.