Men can’t score

By Amanda VanSteelandt and Tanya DeLyzer

Perhaps the University of Calgary men’s soccer team was still recovering from their big “cabaret” when they went out on the road last weekend. The men couldn’t even manage to score. This isn’t usually a problem according to rumors on the sidelines.

The first game, on Thu., Sept. 30, Trinity Western University slaughtered the Dinos. Although we weren’t there to witness it first hand, the 5-0 score was indicative of the game play. We won’t dwell on this.

Saturday’s rematch against the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds wasn’t so disappointing, ending with a 1-0 loss. The single goal for the T-Birds was scored by Steve Deblasio.

The final game against the University of Victoria Vikes on Sun., Oct. 3 was competitive. Eighteen minutes into the game, Carl Speed (yes, that’s his real name) was going too fast and got hauled down in front of the net. Evidently, our men like to get physical while they’re playing the field. Unfortunately, it cost them a goal off a penalty kick taken by Will Moore of UVic. The back line stayed strong to prevent further scoring by the Vikes. Dino Adam “A-Mac” MacDonald had some nice game-ending opportunities, but couldn’t finish them off.

This foray out into the world has left the Dinos men down in fifth position in Canada West and our tormentors all tied for the top spot. Hopefully, all the stuffing and turkey this weekend will help rejuvenate our boys during their week off.

The next games are Fri., Oct. 15 against the University of Saskatchewan Huskies and Sun., Oct. 17 against the Golden Bears of the University we love to hate… Alberta.