Sullivan’s sixth shutout

By John Fisher

After much criticism from last year’s performance, the Dinos women’s soccer team has proven itself game after game. This past weekend, they visited the University of Saskatchewan to take on the Husky ladies. After a dominating victory earlier in the season, the Dinos were confident going in and it certainly showed in the game.

After a scoreless first half, Erin Ramsay of the Dinos managed a goal deep into the 62nd minute of play. Ramsay’s goal was the lone mark of the game as the Dinos won yet again by a score of 1-0. Ramsay showed that she was more than resilient after the injury she suffered last year and has had no problem showing why she was named a Canada West First Team All-Star in her sophomore year. Her contributions to the team have been essential to the success so far this season and she will continue to be relied upon heavily as the push for the playoffs heat up.

This weekend marked the unbelievable sixth shutout of the season for Dinos star goalkeeper Charlotte Sullivan. Sullivan now posts a stingy 0.56 goals against average, jettisoning her into second place behind University of British Columbia’s goalkeeper Kelly McNabney who posts a 0.29 goals against average. Sullivan is clearly the cornerstone of the team and her outstanding play has established her as one of the leagues finest goalkeepers.

On the front end, Stephanie Hoogveld continues to live up to expectations that Dinos Coach Robin Slot had for her early in the season. With five goals this season already, she is currently tied for third place in league goal scoring. Hoogveld has provided the scoring touch that was desperately needed last season and is currently carrying the offence for the Dinos.

The Sun., Oct. 17 game against the University of Alberta Pandas was postponed due to poor weather. The game was rescheduled for Wed., Oct. 20, which poses a problem for some of the girls who have midterms. Hopefully their profs have mercy and allow our hardworking athletes a little grace.

As the season is nearing its end, the Dinos return home this weekend to play the Trinity Western University Spartans Sat., Oct. 23 at noon and then the University of Victoria Vikes Sun., Oct. 24 also at noon. Come and cheer on your favourite Dinos team as they battle on the new fields (weather permitting). One thing is for sure: the games certainly won’t be as tame as this article!