Hockeysaurs sore after pair of losses [U of C Edition]

By Lee Bogle and Sean Nyilassy

After a devastating blow to their ego, the Dinos women’s hockey team set out to redeem themselves Sat., Nov. 20 against the NAIT Ooks. While the Dinos again let in six goals, at least this time they scored a few of their own.

“We’re still in early season form,” excused Head Coach Julie Healy. “I have no doubt we’ll be where we need to be [later in the season].”

NAIT drew first blood, but the Dinos surprised both the fans and the Ooks with both Robyn Chapman and Beth Nerland hitting the net in the first. Unfortunately for our ladies, the Ooks managed to slip three past Dinos ‘tender Tiana Velestuk.

“Defensively as a team we need to get together,” Healy proclaimed enigmatically.

Down 3-2 through 20, the Dinos let another pair of goals in during the second. Another goal in the third for the Ooks brought an onslaught of offence from Shauna Raugust. Regrettably, it ended after her single goal, bringing the final tally to 6-3.

“We have a lot of talent, we just need to put it together,” Nerland admitted.

“We need to work as a group,” Chapman agreed. “We need to know what we’re doing, not just go through the motions.”

Our ladies hope to finally break their winless streak at home against the Mount Royal College Cougars Fri., Nov. 26. They then travel, heads held high, to face the Grant MacEwan College Griffins Sat., Nov. 27.