Pronghorns didn’t stand a chance

By Tanya DeLyzer

Perhaps it was the 2003-2004 Canada West banner hanging in the Jack Simpson Gymnasium that fuelled the Dinos men’s basketball team at home Nov. 19-20. Or maybe the men just played like they can. Whatever the reason, the Dinos managed to steal two wins from the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns. Our men defeated the windy city guests 89-60 on Fri., Nov. 19 and 93-70 Sat., Nov. 20.

Every dressed player had the opportunity to stick it to the Pronghorns Friday evening, each seeing at least 12 minutes of floor time. This balanced attack led the Dinos men steadily to their first conference win this season, leading at the half with a score of 50-30.

The Dinos shot 49 per cent from the field and 80 per cent from the free throw line, while the Pronghorns were held back to a mere 34 per cent and 36 per cent respectively. The expanse of the Dinos’ talent was demonstrated in this game with four players scoring in double digits. These included Surinder Grewal with a cool 21 points and Chris Wright with 12 points in 14 minutes of playing time.

High from their Friday night win, the Dinos finished off the pesky Pronghorns Saturday with a solid defeat. The Dinos once again finished the half with an outstanding 50-32 lead. Throughout the game the Pronghorns were forced to give it up, the ball I mean, 20 times. This was twice the Dino total–a result of the strong Dinos’ defence.

With balanced playing time for all, six Dinos players managed to score in double digits, proving that they didn’t need to rely on starting players to defeat the Pronghorns. Sandy Brar was a triple threat contributing 12 points, 10 rebounds, and five assists. Surinder Grewal, shooting 80 per cent from beyond the three-point arc, added 20 points for the Dinos.

The double win was not really a surprise for the team, as they expected they could beat the inferior Pronghorns.

“There are no easy wins, but they are a team we should have beat and did,” Ian Ferguson explained.

Sandy Brar explained that the Dinos “played better as a team and defensively were more intense” than in earlier games this year.

“[It was] nice to see the kids play well and shoot the way they can,” added Head Coach Dan Vanhooren. “[It is] nice to get confidence back.”

Hopefully that confidence will take the place of starter Whit Hornsberger, who is off indefinitely due to torn ligaments and stress fractures in his hand.

The Dinos men have pulled themselves from their losing rut and hope to continue that trend this coming weekend. The men will be put to the true test, as they host the fifth-ranked University of Saskatchewan Huskies Fri., Nov. 26 and Sat., Nov. 27, at 8 p.m. in the Jack.