Gauntlet Extra Effort Award

By Sean Nyilassy

With her fifth-year now finished, Cory Bekkering will leave a huge hole in the Dinos women’s basketball team. Players and coaches alike will miss her dedication and leadership. The Gauntlet honours Bekkering for her continued success, despite the plague of injury.

She is the female recipient of the 2005 Gauntlet Extra Effort Award, presented at the 38th Annual Night of the Dino. The six-foot post from Taber came straight to the University of Calgary from high school, walking onto the Dinos team in 2000. Despite numerous injuries over the years, Bekkering’s dedication to the sport of basketball has allowed her to quickly return to doing what she loves.

This season especially, the talented athlete proved herself, averaging 10.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game during conference play, the second and top numbers respectively for the Dinos. Despite some nagging injuries, she managed to dress for every game and averaged an exhausting 27 minutes of court time.

In light of her years of perseverance and success, Bekkering was awarded with the Tracey MacLeod Award this year for outstanding dedication and persistence in Canadian Interuniversity Sport. It doesn’t quite offer the prestige that comes with a Gauntlet Award, but sometimes you’ve got to get while the gettin’s good.

Bekkering’s departure leaves a hole in the centre of the women’s basketball team, just like a bagel. But during her time here she has taught the young’uns a thing or two: without dedication there won’t be success, and anything can be possible if you put enough heart into it.

Bekkering is one who played the game of basketball with all of he heart and she deserves this award as much as any past or future winner has. Congratulations!