SU’s Smith conquers CAUS

By Chris Beauchamp

The University of Calgary has a prominent new voice on the provincial lobbying scene.

Jen Smith, Students’ Union Vice-President External is the newly elected 2005-2006 Chair of the Council of Alberta University Students.

“It feels good,” said Smith. “We haven’t had any executive positions on CAUS for about four years. You definitely have more influence when you can say you speak for 80,000 students.”

Smith said CAUS will focus on proposing a new tuition relief policy and curbing parental cont- ribution limits on student loans. She was also excited about the prospect of working with a new Conservative leader upon the expected retirement of Premier Ralph Klein.

CAUS was formed in 1986 and lobbies on behalf of undergraduate students from each of Alberta’s universities: the University of Alberta, U of C, University of Lethbridge and Athabasca University.

SU President Bryan West said the limited CAUS membership and the nature of the organization practically ensured the U of C would secure the chair position.

“Basically, it was our time,” said West, who serves as the U of C’s voting member with CAUS. “We’re really proud that we were able to secure that position this year. Jen’s going to do a great job.”