New dean studies African spam mail

By Daniel Pagan

An interim dean has been chosen to fill a gaping hole in the communication and culture hearts. Dr. Wisdom Tettey was appointed to fill the position after Dr. Kathleen Scherf stepped down to become the Thompson Rivers University president June 2008. Tettey, a development studies professor, was an international student who did his masters at the University of British Columbia and PhD at Queens after completing his undergraduate study at the University of Ghana. He joined the communication and culture faculty in 1998.

Tettey’s research focuses on how the new digital media– like cyber fraud and cyber sexuality– affects African countries. Anyone who has received an email from Nigerian princes about Swiss bank accounts would be interested in his research, Tettey admitted.

“[The research] aims at understanding the criminal behaviour of African youth via the fluid and de-territorized spaces of the Internet, its relationship to socio-economic survival and stresses of globalization, the redefinition of morality in these spaces and the extent to which these activities reflect the changing dynamics of power between the globe and state control,” said Tettey.

Tettey plans to build up the multi-disciplinary degrees in communication and culture and make it a more international faculty promoting global citizenship. He is promoting and enhancing community service learning, schools, internship and co-op placements and opportunities for students to volunteer in the local community though clubs.

“We will also heighten our vision of creating knowledge communities and mobilizing research in ways that have direct impacts in concrete contexts and reflect the university’s goal of giving back to communities,” said Tettey.

Tettey admitted he has a lot of work ahead of him, but is pleased to take over after someone who was a mentor and provided him support for almost a decade.

“I learnt a lot from [Scherf] and so stepping into her shoes provides me a chance for me to honour her service and accomplishments by pursuing a vision, I hope, will enhance her legacy and make her proud,” said Tettey.