Porpoises canít talk

By Phylicia Tran

British Columbia outfit Said the Whale’s moniker invokes nautical notions and for good reason. The guys and gal have been working hard to distinguish themselves in Canada’s ever-growing music scene and record a partially new album, all the while sustaining their careers by slugging it on tugboats.

After the release of Howe Sounds in June, an extension of their 2007 EP Taking Abalonia, the group has have been gearing up to head out on the road to showcase the oven-fresh album which is a collection of songs about youth, the seasons and what happens to the heart after being slightly broken. Embarking on their sixth tour in early October, their first stop is in Calgary where we’re sure to find ourselves showered in nautical indie bliss.

“A lot of our songs have to do with Vancouver and the ocean and where we live,” says guitarist Tyler Bancroft. “We definitely have a love affair with Vancouver and its surroundings. It’s hard not to let that come through in our music.”

A large portion of music was recorded over the span of several years with the initial pairing of Bancroft and lead vocalist Ben Worcester. With the addition of three new members, a lot of organization and even more hard work, they’ve managed to put together a collection of well-rounded tunes for our listening pleasure.

“Some of the songs that are on the Howe Sounds part were actually written before some of the songs on the Taking Abalonia part, but some were written much after,” explains Bancroft. “We’ve done a whole bunch of tours already with that stuff, but I guess it’s only gone into stores in June, so it does kind of seem like we’re touring the record all over again.”

Whether they’re recording at home or working obscenely long shifts at random day jobs to be able to afford independent touring, the band still has a little adventure in them despite where they are.

“We try and kind of explore the cities that we’re going to as much as possible, taking advantage of the fact that we get to drive across our beautiful country time and time again,” he says. “On our days off, we’ll go do something instead of chilling out. We’ll go exploring. Not everyone can say that they can do that.”

Certainly not everyone can say that they’ve got catchy melodies, impromptu clapping and sea-bound lyrics down to a science- just a few of the things that have secured Said the Whale a loyal fan base that is growing with each cross-country show they play. Nevertheless, living on the road has its perils, and if you’re familiar with Canadian winters, you know it’s not always the easiest getting here and there with snow blowing every which way.

“We’ve only done one tour that was in the dead of winter,” recalls Bancroft. “We ended up getting stranded in Swift Current. . . we were trying to get to Medicine Hat and we just couldn’t do it. There was too much snow blowing across the roads from the prairies and for us B.C. boys, this is just unacceptable and terrifying!”

No matter how brutal the weather may be, if there’s one thing they appreciate most, it’s the support and inspiration that comes from being able to meet and play with fellow musicians, whether they’re local acts or friends from abroad.

“Within Vancouver, there are just a few bands that we started playing shows with when we started the band and they’ve all been so welcoming and such amazing people to hang out with,” explains Bancroft. “We’re definitely inspired by them all the time. The best part about being on tour is playing a show with a band you’ve maybe heard of or maybe never heard of. Regardless, you usually get to hang out after. You drink some beer and jam on some guitars in some random hotel room wherever you are and that’s how you get to know them the best. You get to really see the talent shine through. Canada has a shitload of talent.”