Calgary mayoral election candidates 2010: Naheed Nenshi

By Gauntlet Elections Board

Naheed Nenshi grew up in Calgary and holds a bachelor of commerce from the University of Calgary, where he was president of the Students’ Union in 1994. He also received a masters in public policy from Harvard University. Nenshi has experience advising in corporate strategy, as well as consulting with public, private and non-profit organizations. Nenshi is now a professor of non-profit management at Mount Royal University.

Nenshi’s candidacy revolves around three basic themes: environmental, economic and social sustainability; Calgary becoming the best place to own a business and raise a family; and fixing City Hall. Nenshi believes City Council needs an outsider to come in, “cut red tape” and properly invest in social infrastructure. He considers himself unique since he is an outsider but not one who’s “starting from scratch,” having long followed and written about Calgary’s municipal politics.

Nenshi’s secondary suite policy requires suites have to meet all Alberta fire and safety codes, have off-street parking stalls unless within 500 metres of an LRT or Bus Rapid Transit and the suite’s owner has to live there.

Nenshi identifies transit as another issue for students. He argues that the city takes advantage of students by issuing UPasses, which bring in revenue yet makes no real investment in return to ensure that students receive the transit services they need.

For more information, visit nenshi.ca.