Calgary mayoral election candidates 2010: Wayne Stewart

By Gauntlet Elections Board

Wayne Stewart spent 27 years as a senior manager with Shell Canada, followed by 19 years working within the non-profit sector. Stewart emphasized his experience in both the business and community spheres.

“You’ve got to be able to attend to social needs while at the same time being a sound financial manager,” he said. “And that’s what I bring.”

Stewart discussed his three major propositions which include a property 2012 property, attention to social issues and the use of “public-private partnerships” to fund infrastructure projects such as a new downtown library and the airport tunnel.

“I think the most significant contribution we can make is secondary suites,” Stewart said in regards to Calgary housing. “My goal is to approve secondary suites in all areas of the city.”

Stewart noted that there are many groups without a voice at City Hall. He hopes to aid communication with the creation of a council.

“So that would apply to students as well,” he said.

In order to generate jobs for graduating students Stewart said he’ll work with the University and local entrepreneurs to bring economic diversity to the city.

On the issue of transportation, Stewart stated that his two main priorities are an LRT to the airport and Bus Rapid Transit to Mount Royal University.

“What I would do is talk to groups that have problems and find out where you want to from-to and put the service in.”

For more information, visit waynestewart.ca.