Hockeysaurs split with Bisons

By Rhiannon Kirkland

The Dinos women’s hockey team and University of Manitoba Bisons began Friday’s game with some unfinished business. In a somewhat odd and unique situation, the two teams completed a disputed Nov. 14 shootout before playing their regular game. The shootout was originally won by the Bisons, but the Dinos challenged the shootout winner saying it should not have been allowed. Oddly enough, Friday’s game would also go onto a shootout.

“Our goalie poke-checked the puck, but the player kept playing and shot the puck in the net and the ref allowed the goal saying, ‘It doesn’t matter if the goalie touched the puck, the puck kept going in the same direction forward,’ ” said women’s hockey head coach Danielle Goyette of the challenge.

Goyette protested the goal and argued that when the goalie touched the puck the play was over.

It was not until the sixth shooter that the makeup shootout was decided. Dino Tanya Morgan stepped up and put one past Bisons goalie Tara Lacquette. The Bisons were unable to answer giving the Dinos the shootout victory.

“By winning the shootout, it gives more motivation on your bench for the game you play right after,” said Goyette.

Both goals of the game came on the power play. Calgary’s Rebecca Niehaus scored during a Dinos power play 13:12 into the first with assists from Elana Lovell and Morgan. Bison defenseman Caitlin MacDonald would find an equalizer with under a minute left in the second period. Calgary took 14 penalties during the game to Manitoba’s four.

The game remained 1-1 at the end of regulation time. Overtime produced no goals, so another shootout was needed. Morgan scored to win a shootout for the second time that night for the Dinos.

“That’s the funny thing, we had two shootouts in one night,” said Goyette. “You’re not gonna see that. It might never happen again. Because we won the first shootout the girls were pretty positive, the goalie felt really good.”

Penalty trouble would prove to be a problem for the Dinos on Saturday as the Bisons opened up the game with a power play goal 8:16 into the first. The Bisons would add another goal at 8:38 in the third, shortly after a Dinos penalty had expired to win 2-0.

“We only had three lines that game and I think we ran out of juice,” said Goyette. “If we had maybe four lines and be able to rotate more players in the first game I think we would’ve been okay.”

CW scoring leader Hailey Wickenheiser was out injured for both games.

The Dinos were satisfied with their performance overall, but disappointed to miss out on the extra two points that would have secured them home ice for the first round of the playoffs said Goyette.

They must now wait for the results of the two Bisons games next weekend against UBC. The Bisons currently sit three points behind the Dinos. If the Bisons win both games they will beat out the Dinos for second place in CW. The Dinos have a bye this week and finish the regular season with a 16-6-2 conference record.