Debate: Dinos Logo Redesign

By Richard Goldberger

On Wednesday, April 3, University of Calgary provost and vice-president academic Dru Marshall unveiled the new logo for Dinos athletics to an eager student body and faculty. As part of the rebranding campaign, the Dinos have partnered with Nike as their official sponsor for their athletic apparel, in addition to other changes around athletics that include the upcoming overhaul of the Jack Simpson Gymnasium. This new corporate partnership brings potential for increased athlete recruitment and merchandise sales. 

This rebrand is the first time since 1998 that a new logo has been introduced, replacing the current “lizard” logo that was arguably outdated and lacking in ferocity. In its place is the updated “Rex” logo — a simpler, bolder alteration to the pre-existing logo with a sharper, more modern appearance. 

The “Dinos” text has been further updated from its originally black and yellow italicized text to rounded, bold, white-filled text. However, the introduction of this new logo has immediately sparked debate over the aesthetics of the new look, as well as the decisions made regarding the direction of the logo.

The previous logo was not a favourite among many students, some of whom didn’t even recognize it as the Dinos official logo. Upon first glance, the new logo appears to be a well-adapted update of the former logo. Yet, at the same time, the overly simplistic new look is less aesthetically pleasing than it first appears. 

The colour and redesign of the T-Rex is too cartoon-like for an esteemed university brand. In addition, the new “Dinos” text beneath the logo resembles a font used in the Flintstones and may be the biggest disappointment of the entire project, bringing attention to the lack of intensity and fierceness. The image may be more appropriate as a display for a daycare newsletter than on a Canadian Interuniveristy Sport uniform. Apart from the emphasis on the T-Rex’s sharp pearly whites and claws, the logo lacks the ferocity that its designers intended. 

Some students have not been shy about sharing their displeasure with the logo.

“I had a laugh when I first saw it,” said fourth-year earth science student Matthew Coulas. “The dino, the writing, everything just seems a bit juvenile and too cartoonish.”

With the recent success of many Dinos athletic programs, such as football, women’s hockey, women’s track and field, women’s basketball and men’s swimming, the U of C athletics programs are perhaps the most successful of any school in the Canada West conference. The new logo fails to capture the serious and competitive nature of the Dinos athletics program.

A main goal of the rebrand was to combat student apathy towards athletics. Despite this logo appearing more suited for a junior high school than a university, the rebrand is still an opportunity to unite students in a shared identity, something that the university has struggled with in the past. 

Whether students choose to embrace this new look and the attitude that comes with it, the new logo is here to stay. However, the university’s new look has not been accepted by the student body right out of the gates despite the excitement that has been built up around the rebrand.