Student runs for Airdrie city council

By Michael Grondin

Some students don’t wait until university is done before getting into politics. Some choose to get involved as early as possible.

Rachelle Reed is one of those people. And while still attending the University of Calgary, Reed will run for an alderman position on Airdrie’s city council for the second time this September.

Reed, a fourth-year urban studies student, said she has a strong focus on issues affecting students and young people, motivating her to enter politics at a young age.

“Youth need to be more involved in politics and that’s one of the main reasons I want to get involved,” said Reed, who is 24-years-old.

Her platform focuses on affordable housing, education and more efficient transportation in Airdrie.

Reed said she would like to see student residences in Airdrie and buses to bring university students to Calgary.

“There is a huge student population in Airdrie and I would like to see some changes so that it’s easier for students to live and get to school in Calgary,” Reed said.

She also said it would be beneficial to have external campuses for SAIT Polytechnic, Mount Royal University and the U of C in Airdrie.

Reed ran for city council in 2010 when she was 21-years-old, receiving about 1,000 votes. She is working to increase her campaign efforts this time around.

“I did learn a lot from my experience but I need to be more comfortable going door to door and really getting out in the community,” Reed said. “I definitely think I am at a good place this time.”

Reed said her experience and education at the U of C will help her in her bid for alderman. She encourages students to get involved in politics in any way possible.

“I know it’s a big step for young people to run in elections, but getting involved in any way makes a difference,” she said. “I’d really like to give students and young people a leg-up if I am elected.”