TFDL extends its hours

By Rachelle Reed

The hours of the Taylor Family Digital Library Learning commons were extended from 6 p.m. until 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. At this point, the extension will only apply to this year’s fall and winter semesters.

However, from Nov. 24 to Dec. 18, the Learning Commons — the first and second floors of the TFDL — will be open 24 hours every day of the week.

The regular hours of the upper floors of the library will remain the same, in that they close at 11 p.m. Monday through Sunday. On statutory holidays the library is open from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Associate University Librarian Claudette Cloutier said it is important that the TFDL is accessible to students, but insisted the whole library could not be open 24 hours at day because of the library’s budget. She added that the 11 p.m. close also provides more transit options and safer walks home.

The change was initiated in March when a group of students went to the Students’ Union to complain about the TFDL’s hours. Former SU vice-president academic Kenya-Jade Pinto took these complaints to library staff.

SU president Raphael Jacob said he considers the library extension a success and feels it will be beneficial to students, especially with finals right around the corner.