U of C president up for review

By Diltaj Atwal

A Presidential Review Committee is currently underway to review Elizabeth Cannon’s performance as she seeks a second term as president of the University of Calgary. The committee has a mandate to review the performance of the president and make a recommendation to the Board of Governors as to whether she should be
reappointed.

“Representatives from various campus stake holders and the Board of Governors will be involved,” said Students’ Union president Raphael Jacob.

According to Jacob, the Presidential Advisory Search Committee will evaluate Cannon’s performance and goals.

“When she would have started as president, there would have been key initiatives or metrics of measurement one could use to see whether she has been successful. Her key initiative was the Eyes High Strategy,” Jacob said. “One way to measure Cannon’s performance would be how we have advanced the goals of Eyes High and whether we’re on target. Another way would be feedback from students and the community on how they perceive her as having done her job.”

They have also sent out a survey to all undergraduates to get some feedback on Cannon’s performance.

The survey can be filled out from Oct. 24 to Nov. 14.

“If her performance was graded low by the committee, likely they would choose not to reappoint her at which point a search committee would be struck to find a new president for the University of Calgary,” Jacob said.