Men cagers blown away

By Tom Zielinski

The University of Calgary men’s basketball team experienced another disastrous weekend when they visited the University of Saskatchewan Huskies last weekend. The Dinos’ record dropped to 1-7, after they lost both games. On Friday night, the Dinos were blown away by a score of 78-48 and they dropped Saturday’s game 76-66.

"We looked totally confused on defense. [The Huskies] didn’t do one thing that we weren’t aware of," said coach Cory Russell.

Russell was hard-pressed to find an explanation for the weekend’s poor play.

"We’ve had too many [off-days] lately. I’d like to have an on-day," remarked Russell, both frustrated and disappointed with the way his team’s season has progressed so far.

In Friday’s contest, the Dinos shot a dismal 26.7 per cent from the floor and turned the ball over 25 times. Down 14 points at the half, the Dinos started the second committing five turnovers in their first six possessions and found themselves down 21. Game over.

The next day the Dinos seemed to turn things around a little.

"We played much better. The guys played with a little more passion," responded Russell.

Saturday’s contest saw rookie John Riad score 23 points for the Dinos, a weekend high for both teams. But still, the Dinos managed 25 turnovers in the game and lost by 10.

With the two losses this weekend, the Dinos are in desperate need of some changes to their game.

"Our execution and decision-making is just atrocious–It’s a lack of discipline," stated Russell. "They are great guys who are working hard but playing poorly. We’re more talented then 1-7, but it’s a fair assessment of our performance."

The Dinos’ next regular season game is in January. Perhaps the change of millennium will allow the Dinos to pull things together and salvage a season which has not gone according to plan.