Weekend Update: Women’s Basketball

By Scott Lepp

The lady Dinos were a few players short last weekend when they battled Simon Fraser University in conference play. Most importantly, Natalie Hudec and Linnae Bee, the team’s two main point guards, were sidelined for the weekend duel. This meant Jennifer Goldade and rookie Jen Elford would be expected to step up to fill the void.

The weekend series started Saturday afternoon with SFU jumping out to a quick nine-point lead at the half. The second half was a different story as the Dinos poured it on thanks to the shooting of Sarah Williams and the steady play of Leighann Doan. Calgary pummelled SFU and took a 71-64 decision to complete the second-half comeback. Doan and Williams both notched 19 points in the victory.

Sunday’s game featured more of the same. The Dinos fell behind late in the first half, at one point down 16 points, and trailed at the half by a score of 46-32. The second half looked like it was going to be a repeat of game one. The Dinos clawed their way back to within one point, only to see SFU pull away at the end to upset the hosts by a score of 74-67.

The Dinos were again led by Doan who poured home 24 points and pulled down nine boards. Elford also did a stellar job throughout the weekend, playing stifling defence filling in for the two injured floor generals.

For the second week in a row the Jack Simp-son will host women’s basketball action as Lethbridge comes to town for a two-game set Friday and Saturday at 6:30 p.m.