Down not out

By Lawrence Bailey

Don’t be surprised if the Head Coach Dan Vanhooren has the Dinos playing a lot more small ball this season. That tends to happen when two of your key big men aren’t playing.

While this year’s edition of the men’s basketball squad has an embarrassment of riches in the backcourt, the loss of would-be fifth-year forwards Wes Jickling and Chris Harris has left them dangerously thin up front. Picking up hulking seven-footer Brent Laycock should help down low, but big years will still be needed from guys like Rich Weibach (6’8"), Andy Strodeur (6’6") and newcomer Chris Wright (6’7").

Harris, sidelined late last season by a severe knee injury, only has one year of eligibility left and has chosen to take the year off to rehabilitate and further work on his game.

"Chris had a tough decision to make," said Vanhooren. "He needs to have a dominant fifth-year, career-wise."

Always energetic and a fan favourite, Harris’ leadership and enthusiasm will be among the more difficult things to replace, but with no departures due to expended eligibility, the Dinos’ have more than enough experience and veteran leadership to compensate.

Jickling, a consistent performer down low for the past few seasons, has chosen not to play this season in order to pursue his eduction by way of a Masters program overseas.