The ’90s: Presidential musical chairs

By Myke Atkinson

August 2, 1990

Crop circles were found in a field west of campus now owned by the university. Campus Security believed the circles were a local fraternity prank, but others, such as Dr. Roger Jackson of the Canadian Olympic Association said, “The circles appear to be a crude attempt to replicate the Calgary 88 logo.” The proper authorities were informed and the story was buried in the Gauntlet archives. I guess we’ll just never know.

April 18, 1991

The Board of Governors decided to raise tuition by 16.7 per cent, making the total per semester $788.25. And, just like today, none of the students were moved to do anything about it (except complain). In the next 10 years, tuition at this institution more than
doubled.

May 8, 1991

After the SU proposed a facelift be given to the soon-to-be obsolete ballroom, people started bitching about the $1.7 million cost of the renovations. Thankfully, students came through for the renovation, making it one of the best environments for gigs in Calgary. Had the renovations not happened, we might not have hosted acts like finger eleven, the Herbaliser Band and Public Enemy.

1991

The university celebrated its 25-year anniversary. Twenty-five years of autonomy saw more than 20,000 students and almost 4,000 professors and facilities staff wandering its halls. At the time, the students were able to enter 16 faculties with a total of 49 programs pursuing bachelor, master’s, doctoral and professional degrees.

April 10, 1992

After a Students’ Union cabaret, Scott Psutka, 25, was walking towards a friend’s car on his way home. In front of MacEwan Hall, a man using a wooden pick handle bludgeoned him to death. Police believed the act was just a random act of violence and had no connection to the cabaret.

September 30, 1995

Murray Fraser told an emotional crowd that he has decided to resign from his position as President after eight years running. Many people believed that his resignation might have had something to do with the scandal of a professor’s early resignation earlier in the year. Murray Fraser died on March 12, 1997.

October 4-5, 1995

The SU realized the growing need to fill the gap between Science B and Mac Hall, as the green space was decidedly for pussies. In a 592-503 referendum students decided that NUTV should have the chance to move their computers off of the old Taco Time flattop stoves, and into some real offices. Six years later, workers, with newspapers in hand, still use the porta-potties gracing the walk around what will hopefully soon be newer Mac Hall.

August 8, 1996

Dr. Terry White, formerly the president of Brock University, replaces Murray Fraser as President. Compared to the legacy of his predecessor, White fulfilled the title of President but left little to remember him by. He was in the position until last summer when he passed the torch to current President, Dr. Harvey Weingarten.

July 28, 1997

It is on this day that members of the SU signed an exclusivity agreement with Pepsi, behind closed doors. The only details released to the students were that the agreement stands for ten years, that only Pepsi products will be sold and distributed all across campus, and that the SU got an undisclosed, but presumably large amount of money for eliminating the competition.

October 25, 1998

Dino Cup ’97. After dropping the first two games to UCLA Bruins, volleyball gods on high, the Dinos managed to pull the third game to a 15-15 tie, winning with two straight points. The Crowd was amazed as the Dinos furiously struck back in the next two games, proving the squad would not stand down in the shadow of defeat.

August 31, 1999

Just in time for a new school year, the Mackimmie Library opened its very own Information Commons on the second floor of the Library. The Info Commons became a 24-hour facility (Sun.-Thu.) in late November of the same year. With 245 computers and growing, it is the largest Information Commons in Canada.

August 26, 2000

After over 30 years of serving cheap beer to students between classes, The Den was locked up and thirsty students were forced to drink at the hole known as Max’s. A chapter of university history ended and the wool carpet (reeking of puke, piss, beer and other delightful bodily fluids) was removed. For those engineers and managers who have not entered Mac Hall recently, Max’s has effectively replaced the old Den. But clean floors and a fireplace will never be a substitute for $6.50 pitchers and Sublime blasting overhead.