Election Supplement Introduction

By Lawrence Bailey

By the time you read this, I may well be in hiding. Every year in mid-March, a bounty is placed on the head of the members of the Gauntlet’s annual Students’ Union General Election Endorsement Committee. So it goes when you print whom you think should be selected as the higher-level SU representatives for the following year.

There is much lambasting and criticism from year to year by candidates who are not endorsed that the Gauntlet “rigs” the elections. Apparently, we have power over the entire student population through cunning manipulation of the printed word. We speak and the campus follows blindly. Ahhh, if only. The things we could do…

In all honesty though, as a student newspaper offering weekly information and opinion, it is our duty to give information and opinion on the people who want to run your show next year. If we were to clam up every SU election, one of the most significant student-related events, we would be doing a disservice to our readers. Simply put, we’ve covered the SU all year, we’ve covered the issues for the past few years and we are as qualified as anyone to let you know where we stand.

However, that’s not to say that there haven’t been any changes this time around.

Legitimate concerns raised about previous endorsement supplements needed addressing. The most central of these was the issue of transparency and accountability. If we can spend our year watching Students’ Legislative Council like hawks, if we can call every member on any slip-up or questionable decision they make, if we can know how they voted on every issue then it should be a two-way street.

Critics be silenced-there is a whole new level of transparency in this edition of the dastardly endorsements. On top of our summation of each candidate’s position, and our collective opinion and endorsement. We have included our own personal ballots with brief comments about each race. There is now a name, a face and a breakdown of who on the committee supported who on the ballot.

But enough chit chat, let’s get down to the nitty gritty. Every candidate who nervously crept into our heated den of intimidation did so on a level playing field. They each had five minutes to sell themselves and their platform to the committee. Then, each suffered through 10 minutes of primarily knowledge-based questions. Needless to say, there were some impressive interviews and there were some painful ones.

That said, 15 minutes is a long time-just ask any of the squirming interviewees-and it offers a great opportunity to see whether a candidate knows what they’re getting into. Prolonged silences following straightforward knowledge questions are detrimental; concise and exact answers following the same questions are beneficial; elaborate and insightful answers, while few and far between, are endorsement clinchers.

Generally the opening five minutes gave a good idea about the candidate’s ability, preparation and overall confidence, and the question period reinforced this. However, even journalists can make mistakes, so take our counsel for what it is: the opinions of six well-informed, yet totally fallible, people.

Arm yourselves with as much information as possible, do not rely solely on our assessments. Candidates highlight different issues and take different positions and our assesments of these positions may differ from yours, so use every resource available to you and make an informed decision.

If this year’s apathy and indifference is any indication, the decision might not even be yours to make next year.

— Lawrence Bailey, SU Endorsement Supplement Editor

1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much aboutthis, like you wrote the book in it or something.I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message homea little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog.A great read. I will definitely be back.

2. I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

3. When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains the plan of a
    user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.
    So that’s why this paragraph is outstdanding. Thanks!

4. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post
    is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about
    my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thanks!

5. I’m excited to uncover this site. I want to to thankyou for your time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely appreciated everypart of it and I have you book marked to check out new stuff in your site.

6. I was suggested this website by way of my cousin. I’m not positive whether or not this post is written by him as no one
    else recognize such specified about my trouble.
    You are amazing! Thanks!

7. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you ever been running a blog for?

you made running a blog glance easy. The full look of your web
    site is great, let alone the content!

8. Great article! That is the kind of info that should be sharedacross the net. Disgrace on the seek engines for not positioning this submit higher!Come on over and talk over with my web site . Thanks =)

9. Hey, you used to write excellent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

10. Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue with your site in web explorer, could test this… IE still is the market leader and a good component of folks will omit your great writing because of this problem.