VP External

By Jamie Hellewell

Geoff Price doesn’t have much of an edge over closest competitor Nick Vuckovic, though he’s a positive decagon over The Candidate Formerly Known As Lee. He gets our vote because he’s got the magic “P”: Potential. If he’s on a level footing with an internal candidate already, there’s really nowhere to go but up and like any good price subject to market forces, we fully anticipate that over the next year, Price will certainly rise.

Experience

While he has none in the SU, Price is the current RSA VP Apartments and a Shinerama volunteer. However, Price is well-informed on the responsibilities and issues facing the VP External. He has a good basic grounding that’s at least equivalent to that of Nick Vuckovic, external commissioner since last year and seems aware of what he needs to do to get up to speed and be effective at what he does.

Platform

Unremarkable. It includes all the things a dutiful VP External should be worried about-lower tuition, government lobbying and student loan reform. Unlike his competitors, however, Price acknowledges the addition of a new chancellor next year and outlines plans for building relations with him.

Intangibles

With a handshake that could bring Learning Minister Lyle Oberg to his knees, Price is our choice in a field of okay and rotten candidates. He’s enthusiastic, charming and well-spoken, always a plus in someone who’s representing our interests to government, though we’re pretending we didn’t see those white tube socks. Price is surprisingly well-informed for a guy who’s never spent a day in the SU offices and well aware of his weaknesses so we’re calling him a quick learner and betting he can learn a whole lot more just as quickly. We will not repeat the lousy slogan here, but suffice it to say Price is our boy.

The Magic Eight Ball says:

My reply is no.