Martin from two points of view

By Chris Morrison

Chris Morrison
Gauntlet Staff

It has been over a week since Jean Chrétien made the boldest step in his career as prime minister and fired Paul Martin, the best finance minister this country has seen in over 50 years, if not ever. Contrary to what many think, this was not a mistake which will split the Liberal Party, but a preemptive strike initiated to solidify the prime minister’s hold on the party, while at the same time preventing an Alliance-like caucus split.

Paul Martin made the mistake of challenging Chrétien. He did not do this publicly, but he did it nonetheless. He, or rather his supporters, leaked information damaging the credibility of Chrétien’s government. But Paul Martin did not once publicly denounce the leadership of Jean Chrétien, and will not do so now as a backbencher.

To understand why Martin will not denounce the prime minister in public, one must look at his background. Martin is the son of Paul Martin, former Liberal cabinet minister under Pearson, who lost the Liberal leadership race to Pierre Trudeau. Martin Sr. wanted so badly to become prime minister, but when he didn’t, he viewed his professional life as something of a failure.

Paul Martin wants to be prime minister because his father never got the chance. That’s it. There is no huge ideological divide between him and Chrétien. This is not like John Turner leaving Trudeau’s government in 1975 because he felt it was moving too far to the left. Both men want to be prime minister and only one can.

Paul Martin Jr. entered politics in 1988 and ran for the Liberal leadership against Jean Chrétien in 1990. It was a bitter campaign, made memorable by Martin’s support of the Meech Lake accord and Chrétien’s stand against it. Martin lost in 1990 but remained in politics to become finance minister in 1993. His selection as finance minister was an easy one for Chrétien as both men are fiscally conservative.

Fast forward to 2000. Prior to the last federal election, members of the Liberal Party executive told the prime minister to his face that unless he stepped down as party leader and handed the reigns over to Martin, the Liberals could expect to lose seats. But the Liberals did not lose seats. In fact, Chrétien gained the largest Liberal majority in decades. Now, it would seem, Chrétien was secure in his position as leader.But this was not so.

Anyone who thought Jean Chrétien would lie down and hand the leadership of the party over to Martin does not know Chrétien. He has been in federal politics for nearly four decades. He held cabinet positions in the Trudeau government. As Trudeau’s right hand man in the Constitutional negotiations, he was largely responsible for the breakup of the "Gang of Eight," that is the eight premiers led by René Levesque who opposed Trudeau’s Constitution.

Chrétien does what needs to be done. He’s not a man of grand ideas. He’s pragmatic. If Martin’s challenge to his leadership had been quiet, Martin would still be finance minister and I would be writing about the American government inventing threats to national security in order to maintain the Bush government’s increased militarization of society.

Both Chrétien and Martin are long-time Liberals. Martin’s father was a cabinet minister and Chrétien’s grandfather was refused communion due to his work for Sir Wilfred Laurier. Neither man is willing to split the Liberal party, one of the most successful political institutions in the history of democracy. In the end, both will do what is right for the party. For Martin, that means ending his covert campaign to unseat Chrétien and biding his time. For Chrétien, that means stepping down so the party will not suffer any more indignity than it already has.

Oliver Bladek
Gauntlet Staff

Dear Paul Martin, former minister of finance:

So you’ve had a couple of days to stew after Chrétien (the rat-bastard) dumped you from the cabinet. You’ve even come back to a standing ovation in Parliament to unofficially announce your leadership campaign. Would a backbench MP tour Canada to "promote his ideas and beliefs" for the hell of it?

Although I have no plans to support the federal Liberals–ever–I think it’s time you quit pretending to be "liberal." Face it: you’re fiscally conservative, socially responsible and a good person. Jean "the choker" Chrétien sacked you and the publicly-funded CBC told you before he did. He was scared, and as in any good game of street hockey, the prime minister shouted "game on."

No bones about it, you want to be prime minister. Really bad. And you’ve only got two ways to do it. You could rally the grass roots (sounds right wing, doesn’t it?) against Chrétien at the upcoming Liberal biennial conference and cross your fingers he doesn’t get the double majority he needs. But we all know Chrétien is tougher to get rid of than a bad case of head-lice, so we have to think "outside the box”–something the Liberal government, present company excluded, is notorious for not doing.

Or, you can take a ride on the Reading Railroad. You can pass go and collect $200. (Yes Paul, have your cake and eat it too). Leave the Federal Liberal Party, which, might I add, has ridden your coat tails for the past four years, and create your own party that is true to your political ideology: comfortably seated on the right. It doesn’t matter what you call it, you can be the champion of uniting the right. Harper and Clark won’t do it because they don’t want to be the "loser" of the unification bout. But both leaders respect you, Paul, and if they want any hope of forming the next government, they need your support.

Think about it. No more compromising your economic ideals with leftist Liberals like Alan Rock and no more defending chumps like Hedy Fry or Don Boudria. Instead, you would have utmost respect from a party that will represent the thoughts and ideas of the majority of like-minded Canadians.

You can be the one that silences any nationalist feelings in Quebec. You can be the one that eliminates the debt. You can reduce income taxes and reduce regional disparity. You agree with all of this and a majority of Canadians do too. You just can’t do it playing second fiddle to a tired, grumpy old man.

I bet you could take enough Liberal MPs with you to cause the Liberal party to lose their majority in the House. After defeating the government on a money bill, whup Jean deep into his Auberge Grand-Mere, enjoy doing it, and take that seat you so rightfully deserve in Parliament.

Why not, Paul? I’d be the first to sign up and volunteer for your campaign for a united right–just don’t color the party red.