Lady Dinos play at the cup

By Mike Attersall

This weekend’s Dino Cup action not only gave us a glimpse of the men’s team but also treated the crowd to the lady Dinos season opener against the University of Saskatchewan on Thu., Oct. 17.

Unfortunately, the season did not open the way the Dinos would have liked, as the team lost starting setter Natalie Schwartz in the first set of the first game, after she fell onto the foot of one the Huskies’ middles. Schwartz will now be out for the next six weeks due to a torn Anterior Talofibular ligament and sprained deltoid in her left ankle.

“On the positive side of things, I can now focus on school and getting physically and mentally stronger. It’s also awesome to see Heather [Wearmouth] back, and I’m sure the team will be able to compensate for my loss. Plus I think it will help to bring the team together,” said Schwartz.

After losing Schwartz, Dinos back up Amanda Moppett had a chance to show off her skills as setter. The team however, seemed a bit rattled as they tried to regroup around Moppett. They lost the first match to the Huskies 3-1, but despite the final result, Calgary played considerably well and adapted to the loss of Schwartz. The only thing the Dinos weren’t able to adapt to was the poor officiating, as the Dinos had some close calls against them.

Calgary would get a chance at revenge as they played Saskatchewan once again on Sat., Oct. 19. The Dinos looked ready this time and had a little something up their sleeve, pulling out Heather Wearmouth. Wearmouth, who had elected not to play this year, was convinced to come back and help the team by Head Coach Kevin Boyles.

“Heather will be a setting for us from now on,” stated Boyles. “This helps us in that Amanda can now do the things she does best. As for Heather–she has committed to the team for the next six weeks. Heather’s future with us is still uncertain.”

With Wearmouth back, it looked like the team was back to its old ways, and Calgary smoked the Huskies 3-1 in their second meeting. When the Dinos feel their game, they can be unstoppable.