Bling Bling a success

By Peter Stein

As the classrooms and halls of the University of Calgary filled with frosh and transfer students during U of C 101, group leaders introduced a little game called Bling Bling.

As part of this year’s Shinerama fundraising events, students were divided into different colours according to their faculty. They raised money for cystic fibrosis research by contributing either pennies to their own bank or sabotaging another colour by using any other monetary denomination.

When all was said and done, $5555.28 was raised over the three-day period. After the individual tallies were made, Sciences, the green team, came in first and Management, the yellow team, came in last–likely due to their bitter rivalry with the engineers.

"We decided that our goal was $15,000 at the end of Shinerama," said Students’ Union Vice-President Events Richard "Krafty" Bergen.

Shinerama officially wraps up Fri., Sept. 26 but several more fundraising events are planned.

"Next up on Fri., Sept. 19 is the $2 cover charge night at the Den along with Buck-a-Suck, with $1 suckers where all proceeds go towards fighting cystic fibrosis," said Bergen.

Students interested in helping with fundraising events such as Shinerama, are encouraged to stop by the SU Volunteer Office in MSC 225 or by calling 220-3092.