Report card: Field Hockey

By Katie Hobday

Talent

There is certainly no lack of talent on the University of Calgary women’s field hockey team. Two of their players, Elizabeth Allen and Clare Linton, were honoured as Canada West All Stars this year. Linton was tied for sixth in national scoring, tallying nine goals, helping Calgary to five wins.

Effort

The team wore their hearts on their sleeves all season. Despite being in the toughest division in Canada and having to battle with Canada’s two best teams–the University of Victoria Vikes and the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds–the Dinos managed to put up a fight, and never gave up hope of making nationals.

Coaching

Head Coach Anne Kromm led the Dinos through good and bad this year, staying optimistic about making playoffs. She was an inspiration to the team and them to a respectable third place finish in Canada West.

Achievement

Unfortunately for the girls, they were never given the opportunity to show Canada their stick handling skills and sly scoring strategies. They were deprived of a playoff spot by the cruel rules and regulations of Canadian Interuniversity Sport. Although the team probably could have placed at least third at nationals, only the top two teams from Canada West were invited, and with UBC and UVic being Canada’s top two teams, they took the two available spots.

Overall: B+

Country: Mexico. Overshadowed, some might say exploited, by its two bigger North American neighbours, the field hockey team got the Mexican lunch this year. They sat chewing on their burritos watching lesser teams bathe in the playoff sun.