VP Op-Fi – Jarrod Fuhr

“Monies and finances, oh joy! Being an Op-Fi commissioner, I sat on the budget committee this past year, so I have a pretty good understanding of the SU budget currently. Also, working for the YMCA [as] a day camp coordinator, working with limited funds and human resources.”‘In a field with several electable candidates, Jarrod Fuhr stands slightly above all others with a good combination of experience, refined goals and non-imposing charisma. Like other Op-Fi candidates, Fuhr has viable plans for the Op-Fi portfolio which embrace and extend existing efforts. Fuhr’s goals, however, are somewhat more refined than his competitors’ and combine financial direction and an efficient communication strategy.

Fuhr’s platform draws strongly from the Op-Fi portfolio’s objectives this year, in which he was a commissioner. He successfully combines long-term and general goals with a variety of achievable and visible objectives. A debt refinancing strategy, student bursaries, and a desire to preserve student services are juxtaposed against more immediate goals such as exterior signs, redevelopment and new sources of revenue. “Student-driven development” and “prudent financial management” are buzzwords which Fuhr backs with a reasonably well-defined financial strategy. This complements his small-p political experience, which allowed Fuhr to be the only candidate to recognize the long-term consequences if the SU allowed administration to download responsibility for the lost and found service to the SU.

In addition to communicating his plans with students via passive mediums where the onus is on students to initiate contact with the SU, Fuhr plans to actively seek their input by approaching students directly–a goal most candidates share–and he promises to dedicate time to meeting students on a weekly basis.

Fuhr’s plans for the portfolio combined with his approachability and experience make him a logical choice for VP Op-Fi.

What do students need and how will you find this out?

“Students need services currently provided, Health and Dental being the big
one, and activities and events to be properly financed… Going out and interacting
with students, and not just assuming what they want.”

What will your priorities once you’re in office?

“Priority number one has to be prudent financial management, trying to maximize
revenues and minimize the costs. All other student services are based on funding
or staff or resources that are provided through the operations of the SU. The
second priority is communication with students… The third priority is a reduction
in mandatory levies and fees.”

What is your position on the U-Pass

“The value you get for a $55 U-Pass for eight months of unlimited transit service
is pretty good. Whatever students decide, that’s what the decision is.”

What is your experience with money and finances?

“Monies and finances, oh joy! Being an Op-Fi commissioner, I sat on the budget
committee this past year, so I have a pretty good understanding of the su budget
currently. Also, working for the ymca [as] a day camp coordinator, working with
limited funds and human resources.”