Various Artists

By Ben Hoffman

Boompa Records is a Canadian label started by Scott Walker of The Salteens. To celebrate their first year of business the young company has released an album highlighting their extraordinary pool of talent. Boompa boasts a wide variety of artists and songwriters melding and blending genres, resulting in a truly unique collection of music

One of the first bands to join Boompa was the Australian group Sekiden. Their offering on the album combines the electric synth sound of the ’70s and ’80s with pop-punk flavour to make a truly unique sound. Kevin Kane, formerly of The Grapes of Wrath, provides an alt-country sound, while Vancouver’s Billy and the Lost Boys echo the female lead punk sound of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

And of course the band that started it all, The Salteens, provide a strong alternative track inspired by the dusty bayous of yore with “Time You Have Been Wasting”.

The standout track on the album, though, is Victoria’s Run Chico Run. Their song “Jacques and Madeleine” is what can only be described as a sideshow on acid, creepy organs mingle with distorted vocals and percussion putting any hippie onto a glorious tecnicolored trip.

This compilation showcases the immense talent inside Bompa’s roster, proving this young label has a bright future ahead of them.