Hypnosis book launch

By Veronika Janik

The innovative hypnosis of Dr. Kevin Alderson has been at the center of discussions regarding academic improvement, since the publication of his book Grade Power. This weekend, he will present his methods of self-hypnosis in an in-depth display.

Alderson’s recently published book entails a variety of coping mechanisms, including alleviation of exam anxiety, the improvement of study methods and overcoming writers block.

The first section of this 200 page book contains a self-analysis and an identification of skills that need improvement. The second part looks at some general principles of being successful. The third part examines self-hypnosis and its academic application.

“It’s written in a very practical, comprehensive fashion and is beneficial to anyone, even if they are not a student,” said Alderson.

As a University of Calgary professor and a member of the Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis, Alderson is thrilled to share his techniques in front of a crowd of 300 at his book launch/dance party this Saturday.

Alderson, who has had extensive media coverage since the writing of his book, is looking forward to providing a more in-depth demonstration of his theories. The presentation will consist of him choosing members from the audience and hypnotizing them in an attempt to improve academic skills. It will last 35 minutes and will be followed by a dance.

“This isn’t stage hypnosis and it’s not about entertainment,” said Alderson. “It’s about improv- ement and it’s about demonstration.”

The launch takes place Sat., Nov. 27 at Space Gym and begins at 7:30 p.m. All students are welcome to attend, however, maximum capacity is 300, so confirmations are a must. The event is free of charge and individuals need to be 18 or over to attend.

“The location of the launch is one of the funkiest places in Calgary,” stated Alderson. “So I thought what better way to celebrate than to combine it with kind of a personal Christmas and dance party.”