‘Geers dominate first Interfaculty Games

By Emily Senger

Through the adversity of driving rain, wind, and chilly temperatures, the Faculty of Engineering reigned dominant over long time rivals the Haskayne School of Business to take the first place trophy at the first annual Interfaculty Games.

The games organized by the Students’ Union were held Fri., Sept. 9 to wrap up U of C 101. According to SU Vice-President External Alex Vyskocil, the games were a success, even though he had to do some quick thinking to accommodate the nasty weather.

“We moved it indoors to the [MacEwan Hall] ballroom, the Red Gym and the foyer between the Den and Mac Hall,” explained Vyskocil. “It was fun. There was a good turn out at the end.”

A couple events were cancelled due to indoor space restrictions, including the karaoke competition, which dashed the hope of the Faculty of Fine Arts.

According to Vyskocil, the games were designed to add a social aspect to the highly session-based U of C 101, and to increase faculty pride. The games included events like a trivia contest and a massive tug-of-war.

“Have you ever tried to get tug-of-war ropes?” asked Vyskocil. “It’s not easy.”

Some students were not as pleased as Vyskocil with what they saw as juvenile games, more suited to junior-high than university.

“I do not like the games,” commented first year psychology student April Doerksen. “It’s just lame. We’re throwing balls at cardboard cut-outs.”

However, students from Haskayne were able to shine at the games.

“It’s great, very competitive,” said first year business student Nikolai Dossov.

Engineers were presented with the Interfaculty Games trophy in a ceremony on Wed., Sept. 14. Second-place finishers, the Faculty of Science, are currently in the lab testing hypothetical game plans for next year. Third-place finishers, the Haskayne School of Business, are holding an emergency group meeting to strategically plan the most profitable moves for next year’s games.