New Student Success Centre opens

By Annie Wang

The new Student Success Centre has opened on the fourth floor of the MacEwan Student Centre. Supported by Student and Enrolment Services and other on-campus organizations, the new SSC is a one-stop shop that allows the university to better help and advise students.

Several student services previously found in various locations across campus will be brought together in one central spot, including the Undergraduate Programs Office, the Fine Arts Student Success Team, the Office of the Student Experience and the Effective Writing Centre. The SSC will also provide academic advising, leadership programs and career navigation.

“By integrating these services into one central location, the students will be able to access the programs available to them more easily,” said Camille Delacy, SSC orientation and first year experience coordinator. “By being in one area the Student Success Centre will facilitate communication between the different areas of support and in turn serve the students better by getting them the help they need.”

Delacy said student issues are complex and interrelated. The new SCC pulls together campus organizations and partners so students only have one area to go to for support, despite the different issues they might have.

“Let it be students in their first year, second year, third year or graduate year, the issues they have are not just focused on one area — they’re interconnected,” said Delacy. “Your concerns with class choices and academics will also tie into campus engagement and career choices.”

Delacy believes the SSC will build on the strengths of these pre-existing programs while integrating services and focusing on student success and enhanced university experiences.

“The Student Success Centre’s focus is to support students’ success at the university in a holistic manner,” said Delacy. “It’s looking at many different facets and avenues to help students succeed and stay engaged, from the time they step onto campus to the time they graduate and enter the professional world. It’s really looking at a university student’s entire experience.”

Second-year biological science student Micaela MacDonald is currently involved in the leadership program offered by the SSC. MacDonald said she would definitely recommend the SSC to anyone who has any questions about their university experience or just wants to find more ways to get involved on campus.

“The Student Success Centre is a great place to go to get answers,” said MacDonald, “In the leadership program I learned so much in terms of improving my study habits making class choices and overall how to succeed in the university lifestyle. It was a huge help to me, having somewhere you know you can go to and be helped out.”

The SSC will move to its permanent location in the Taylor Family Library spring 2011.