Mixed OT results for hockeysaurs

By Rhiannon Kirkland

Both the men’s and women’s hockey teams had a bittersweet weekend games against the Manitoba Bisons with dramatic shootouts and overtime results.

During the men’s first game on Nov. 12, Bisons forward Tyler Dittmer scored the first goal of the game to give the Bisons a 1-0 lead 12 minutes into the second period. The Dinos responded two minutes into the third period with a goal by defenceman Cory Pritz with an assist from forward Reid Jorgensen.

The teams found themselves tied at the end of regulation time. Overtime failed to produce a winning goal so the game went to a shootout. Brock Nixon’s goal proved to be the only one of the shootout and the game winner giving the Dinos the two points. Bisons goalie Steve Christie stopped Jorgensen, Calgary’s first shooter, and Dinos goalie Dustin Butler stopped all three Manitoba shots making the final score 2-1 for the Dinos.

The men’s Dinos and the Bisons faced off again the next day. The Bisons snatched the first goal of the game halfway through the second period to lead the Dinos 1-0. The Dinos came back to tie the game with just over a minute left in the period.

Much like the day before, the game remained tied at the end of regulation time and went to a shootout. The Bisons scored on two of their shots while stopping all Dinos shooters except Nixon. Unlike the day before, the Dinos lost the shootout.

The women’s hockey team played a weekend series against the Manitoba Bisons and with similar results. The Dinos started the Nov. 12 game strong, opening scoring with a power play goal by forward Chelsea Peterson off a pass from Melissa Zubick 45 seconds into the game. The Dinos then ran into penalty trouble, taking six penalties in the first period. Manitoba was unable to take advantage of their numerous power plays and the Dinos retained their lead at the end of the first period.

Manitoba scored shorthanded early in the second period to tie the game. While the Dinos discipline improved during the second period, the team paid during the lone penalty of the period with Manitoba scoring a go ahead power play goal. Dino Shannon Davidson tied it up two minutes later scoring with the help of a set up from Jenna Smith.

The rest of the game was filled with more penalties but no more goals, sending the game to a shootout. Manitoba’s Becca King scored as the first shooter of the game giving Manitoba the win since none of Calgary’s shooters managed to score.

The Dinos avenged their shootout loss in the second game of the series on Nov. 13. Manitoba’s Kristy Majeran scored the first goal of the game three minutes into the second period. Dino Jenna Smith managed to find a equalizer with five minutes left in the third period sending the game into overtime.

Forward Erika Mitschke scored the game winning goal with assists from forward Elana Lovell and Zubick the final score was 2-1.