Dinos run the show at Canada West meet

By Rhiannon Kirkland

The Dinos women ran, pole-vaulted, shot-putted and hurdled their way to victory last weekend at the CW track and field championships to become the CW women’s track and field champions.

At the end of day one the Dinos were ranked second in both team races. In the women’s competition, the University of Alberta Pandas led by half a point. In the men’s, the University of Regina Cougars led by seven points.

The Dinos women pulled ahead on the second day to take first place with 113.50 points while Alberta came in second with 102.50 points and University of Saskatchewan in third with 35 points.

“It was pretty exciting,” said track and field head coach Doug Lamont. “We went in obviously knowing we were in the fight. In early predictions Alberta was the favourite to win. We scored in every event, which we don’t normally do, so everyone contributed.”

The Dinos men (79) finished in second place behind the University of Regina Cougars (106) with the University of Alberta Golden Bears (76) finishing third.

“Going in, the biggest thing was Regina was favoured to win,” said Lamont. “We had a great weekend, but we did all we could and it was up to Regina to give up some points somewhere in the meet, which they chose not to do.”

Dino Amonn Nelson won the women’s 300-metre dash and set a new CW record with a time of 37.89 followed by teammate Kelsey Lotwin in third (39.68). Sam Effah captured a gold medal in the men’s 300-metre (33.75).

Nelson (7.51) and Effah (6.59) won gold again in the 60-metre event.

Danielle Kendall finished third in the women’s 600-metre.

In the women’s high jump, Rachel Machin claimed a gold with her jump of 1.77 metres. She placed second in the women’s 60-metre hurdles and the women’s long jump.

Robyn Webster placed first in the women’s pole vault and Riley Booth placed second in the men’s triple jump with a jump of 13.52 metres.

In the distance events, Madeline MacDonald won gold in the women’s 600-metre and silver in the women’s 1,000-metre. Madison Theriault collected a bronze in the men’s 1000-metre event.

The Dinos found success in the relays, winning gold in the men’s 4×800-metre relay, the women’s 4×200-metre relay and the women’s 4×400 relay.

Dinos Nelson and Effah took home the outstanding track performer awards. Effah also won male outstanding performer of the meet. Robyn Webster received the female student-athlete and community award. Rachel Machin was named outstanding female rookie. Lamont was named women’s team coach of the year.