One Nine Hundred makes fans go Hoonah Hoonah

By Myke Atkinson

One Nine Hundred are moving up in the world. Recently signing a deal with local label StaticSound, as well as receiving regular rotation on CJAY 92, the band’s showing the world they are ready to conquer, whether or not the world is ready for them.

Last Saturday saw One Nine Hundred release their latest CD to a raving audience at Metro’s Tonic Room. Never in my life have I seen more metalheads packed into such a small place.

"I couldn’t believe it, the bar was only a couple hundred bucks away from reaching their record," says drummer Harvey Warren. "I guess One Nine Hundred fans have a drinking problem."

The new disc, Hoonah Hoonah, is a much more polished effort than their self-titled debut EP.

"It wasn’t a conscious effort to make the record sound cleaner," says Warren. "It’s just that the producer we used knows his stuff and just put everything in its right place."

The band went through some reconstruction of the lineup in the past while, losing a member to local boys Flu, as well as dropping the position of keyboard player altogether. The end result is a group that became very tight, and knows what they want.

The change in the lineup also changed the writing chemistry, leading the group to experiment with techniques such as writing songs live in the studio.

"Our singer JD used to come to rehearsals with a tape of the new material," says Warren. "Now, someone has an idea, and everyone helps work out all the kinks."

With Hoonah Hoonah in hand, the band is ready to hit the big time. They understand that music is a business and that rock has become extremely corporate, and are willing to go the distance to reach their goal of being full-time rockstars.

"Record companies are like a bank, and we just need a good bank loan."