SU Review: VP Events

By Gauntlet Editorial Board

An ideal VP Events attends to the recreational lives of students on campus and the community. Arranging and promoting Bermuda Shorts Day, concerts, performances and other activities during the academic year is a large part of the portfolio. Other less event-related aspects include Safewalk and relations with residence students and other on-campus groups.

Alex Vyskocil

It was a year of great expectations for young Alex Vyskocil. For an entire year prior, he waited eagerly in the wings as an Events Commissioner, waiting to unleash the spectacular phenomena that he, and everyone around him, expected.

By most measures, this year’s VP Events has done a wonderful job fulfilling both his goals and the duties of his position. Consistent successes such as That Empty Space, Busking for Smiles, Cinemania and countless other concerts and events for students on campus have defined Vyskocil’s term so far. As one elected official put it, “his total commitment has resulted in record-breaking levels of events and major successes.” In addition to promoting student and local talent, organizing activities for residence students, and promoting everything good under the roof of Mac Hall, he’s arguably the most approachable SU VP to have graced the union this decade.

The only measurable complaint about Vyskocil’s performance comes from within the SU. According to a select few, Vyskocil runs an executive silo. Fiercely determined to use his commissioners to further his goals as VP Events, Vyskocil has been accused of being insensitive to his commissioners’ goals, larger SU issues and discussions during SLC meetings. He admits to this, and promises to work to further empower commissioners in the Winter semester. He may also finally forgive one event commissioner’s summer missteps, and welcome him fully into the fold. However, complaints are barely noticeabe, scattered among the overwhelming internal and external praise Vyskocil receives.

If only he didn’t fail so spectacularly hard at managing the crowds that spontaneously appear at his popular events, and if he only paid attention to the drudgery that is student politics in a legislative setting, his year would be as close to perfect as humanly possible.