VP Op-Fi: Jonathan Griffith

Jon Griffith brings a lot of SU experience into the race for VP Op-Fi. As Clubs Commitee Chair, Griffith managed the budget and operations for SU clubs and was an active member in SLC.

Jon mentioned the $200,000 surplus the SU earned in 2004 was a good step towards financial stability and hopes it continues to be as strong next year. This is all good for businesses, but perhaps the SU shouldn’t crave profit so voraciously. They should be all for the students, but continually growing profit at the expense of affordable services for students.

Other than that, Jon is full of good ideas. He hopes to focus surpluses on the students and cites the environment as an important priority. Specifically, he wants the Campus Recycling Board to work towards a cleaner school, which couldn’t hurt the way things look outside and inside MacEwan Hall. He proposes a new sustainability officer position to help monitor and reduce utility costs in MSC. This is a good initiative to save SU funds and make our school greener, but the position may tread on responsibilities covered by the VP Op-Fi.

Other than the environment, Jon hopes to improve the food court in MSC, but didn’t provide any specific goals or ideas to make it happen. He promised to take great care in planning the 2005/2006 SU budget and has the necessary experience. This year he ran the SU clubs’ budget and knows how the SU works.

Despite having some ideas that aren’t too laid out yet, he came across as someone who could fill the position and once his ground-work was laid out, do a good job at it.

‘”It’s there for students, it’s there for nothing but students.”

What experience do you have with budgets and finances?

“I’ve spent the entire year managing and operating the operations and finance for the clubs.”

What’s your strategy for dealing with the MacEwan Student Centre redevelopment?

“Make sure all the definite plans are set out and next year we will start construction on that.”